Hartley Arms56 Long Street
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic this pub is currently offering additional services:
Please see pub Facebook or website for details of any take-out or delivery services available and any news about future reopening. Updated 19 Jan
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
This busy village pub overlooks the Shropshire Union Canal, and is popular with boaters as there is a fuelling wharf close by. There are two rooms connected by an open doorway. Although the room entered from the road features a dartboard and television, both rooms are mainly used for meals. As well as a large patio, there is also seating alongside the car park overlooking the canal. Before 1900 the inn was called the Canal Tavern. It was renamed the Hartley Arms after Squire Hartley of Wheaton Aston Hall. The boatmen used this canal side tavern and did not mix with the local people. The innkeeper was also a farmer and the wharfinger. There was a weigh-bridge in front of the inn which was not only used for goods travelling by canal, but also to weigh cartloads of hay which used to be taken daily from the village to Wolverhampton.