Hope & Anchor41 Hill Street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Popular street-corner local near town centre. Comfortably furnished and a welcoming atmosphere. Regular satellite TV sports sessions. According to the pubs official history it was opened in 1853; however a map in the County Record Office dated 1852 shows the pub with virtually nothing built around it. The first landlord was William Morris and for a period of time he was also the licensee of the nearby Greyhound. Mr Morris died aged 47 in 1868 and his wife Hannah carried on until she died in 1906.