Church InnThe Buttercross
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic this pub is currently offering additional services:
Please see pub Facebook or website for details of any take-out or delivery services available and any news about future reopening. Updated 19 Jan
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Popular fourteenth century town centre pub. Starting out as the Cross Keys, it has had several names since then, only becoming the Church Inn in 1979 (following a five year spell as the Gaiety Inn). The pub is located in an alley behind the Buttercross (originally the site of the High Cross, which was the official centre of the town). Behind it is St Laurence's Church, from which the pub takes it's name (the ashes of the poet A. E. Housman, the author of 'A Shropshire Lad', were scattered in the churchyard). Re-opened in December 2016 after a major refurbishment, the main downstairs room now has a very contemporary feel to it, with a range of seating styles to choose from. The original central servery has gone, being replaced by a smaller one to the side. A wide range of local ales is offered. Upstairs at the rear is a gallery-style room with additional seating, which overlooks the grounds of St Laurence's Church. The gents has also seen a facelift, with interesting results. In pride of place next to the bar is an old bell from the church dating from 1756.