Burton upon Trent
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
The Winery is situated on the ground floor of an attractive Victorian building, but which incorporates parts of the 13th-century Burton Abbey infirmary, plus some early 20th-century extensions. Conversion into a pub (the Abbey Inn) took place as recently as 1975. After a period of closure and major refurbishment, it re-opened as the Winery in 2008.
Described as “a haven of tranquility within yards of Burton town centre”, the bar (which occupies a former snooker room) and the restaurant, complete with some cosily screened seating areas, are both sumptuously furnished with comfortable seating and high quality, stylish decoration. Some of the tables overlook the attractive gardens leading down to the river. The three function rooms are furnished to a similarly high standard and overlook the riverside terrace.
The Winery offers wide-ranging daytime, evening (à la carte) and Sunday lunch menus, plus a children’s (under 12) menu. There is also a special ‘afternoon tea’ menu for groups of 10+, available by prior arrangement. As the name implies, the provision of fine wines features strongly, and a magazine for oenophiles, The Nose, is published quarterly.
The Burton Club, which boasted many of Burton's brewery founders among its early members, has occupied all or part of the building since 1910.