Old Smithy8-12 Castle Street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
The pub was bought late in 2011 by Martin King who had successfully run The Badger in Eccleshall for 18 years and wanted to expand his horizons from the constraints of a pubco business. The building was thoroughly refurbished during the cold winter of 2012 and re-opened in February 2012. The room layout offers several dining areas at both ground and first floor levels, from larger rooms to intimate smaller areas. There is a ground floor bar and drinking area off the side car park. The food is traditional English style and locally sourced where ever possible. The four beers are from national brands although there is occasionally a local beer from a micro brewery. In 1906 the licensing magistrates were told "The drinking rooms comprised a smokeroom and a taproom and there was a private living room and a scullery and there was a clubroom upstairs. There was stabling for six horses and tying-up for twelve. The rent was £25 per annum and in the twelve months previous beer sales alone was £388 15s 6d. Joules had purchased the property for £1200 in 1903 and spent £247 18s 10d on improvements.