Royal Oak HotelThe Southend
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
A fine old coaching inn, built in 1643 and renovated in 1890, with a new facade covering the original timber-frame. However, inside the timber is much in evidence, including exposed wattle panels. Note the stained glass window. The hotel has recently been refurbished with new toilets and lighter decor. There is a split-level main bar with dining areas to the side. Home-prepared meals are served all day. There was a brewery on the site until 1921, which was restarted in 1996 but sadly closed again in 2000.